Queen ‘won’t release new portrait to mark 95th birthday this week’ – days after Prince Philip’s funeral

Get daily celeb exclusives and behind the scenes house tours direct to your inbox

The Queen won’t release a new portrait to mark her 95th birthday this week, it has been reported.

The Queen’s birthday will fall just days after the funeral of her late husband, Prince Philip.

It has been reported that there will also be no gun salute to mark her birthday for the second year running.

The Queen is still in the official period of royal mourning for her beloved husband of 73 years, Prince Philip, who passed away on 9 April at the age of 99.

  • Prince Philip's funeral pulls more than a million more viewers than Harry and Meghan's Oprah chat

  • Prince William and Prince Harry 'spoke about how Prince Philip's funeral was as he wanted', lip reader claims

The Daily Mail reports that a planned portrait to mark the Queen's birthday on Wednesday have been cancelled.

The traditional 41-gun and 21-gun salutes in London's Hyde Park and the Tower of London have also been cancelled, the Ministry of Defence said.

The salutes were also cancelled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.


It has also been reported that the royal family are ensuring that the Queen will not be alone for her birthday – which will be the first she celebrates without husband Philip in seven decades.

According to The Mirror, the royal family are taking it in turns to visit the monarch at Windsor castle and go for walks with her.

A source told the publication: "The Queen will not be alone.

"She will have others who care about her deeply and want to be there to support her in her most pressing hour.

  • Meghan Markle's friend says she 'did her bit' for Prince Philip's funeral with sweet handmade wreath

  • Kate Middleton sweetly kisses grief-stricken Prince Charles on the cheek as they leave Prince Philip's funeral

"In typical fashion the Queen has insisted she is coping and despite the suggestion she had prepared herself for this day to come, everyone is well aware there is nothing like the experience when it comes."

The funeral of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, took place on 17 April at St George's Chapel.

The Royal Family united to pay a fond and emotional farewell to him and the ceremony allowed the public to watch, with it broadcast on ITV and BBC.

As she bid a final farewell to her husband, the Queen reportedly left a handwritten note on the top of Prince Philip’s coffin.

Her Majesty, who chose the flowers for the funeral wreath, put the note which said "in loving memory" next to the wreath.

Source: Read Full Article