Kay Burley quizzes Liz Truss on Jacob Rees-Mogg’s comments
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Kay Burley, 60, has shared how she felt an “idiot” for breaking London’s Tier 2 rules back in December. The Sky News presenter was hit with a six-month suspension from the channel, after she was caught hosting a birthday party with a “small number” of her colleagues.
I’m sorry for what I did
The star said she hadn’t broken the rules on purpose, and that she had been “appropriately sanctioned” with a six-month suspension.
Kay said: “I thought I was Covid-compliant. I wasn’t. I made a mistake.
“I was an idiot and I let myself and my viewers down.
“I’m sorry for what I did and for any heartache I caused the loyal friends with me at the time.”
“I paid for my mistake; quite rightly. My viewers told me how frustrated they were with me and they were right to do so.
“With time, the mood music changed and my viewers wanted me back,” she added to MailOnline.
Kay started at Sky in 1988 and has remained there ever since, now presenting her eponymous show on the channel.
However, she was suspended for six months back in December, after breaching coronavirus restrictions.
An internal review found that “a small number of Sky News staff attended a social event in London” where Covid-19 guidelines were breached.
It said: “All those involved regret the incident and have apologised.
“Everyone at Sky News is expected to comply with the rules and the company takes breaches like this very seriously indeed.”
Kay was photographed with a group of people on December 2.
Dragons’ Den star slams critics after sparking concern from hospital (PHOTOS)
Eamonn Holmes ‘can’t bear’ BBC Breakfast host’s habit (NEWS)
Rebel Queen in surprise admission on royal protocol importance (LATEST)
She invited four colleagues back to her home to continue celebrations after a dinner to celebrate her 60th birthday in London.
London was under Tier 2 regulations at that time – meaning it was forbidden to enter other people’s homes – as this was against the rules.
Kay admitted one instance of breaking the rules by entering a restaurant to “spend a penny,” but at the time did not mention the private gathering she’d hosted, which went against Covid regulations.
The broadcaster had previously called out the actions of politicians throughout 2020 for their problematic behaviour amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The channel’s political editor Beth Rigby and correspondent Inzamam Rashid were also taken off air for three months after attending the bash. Both have since returned to their roles.
The 60-year-old resumed her position on the news channel at the beginning of June following her suspension.
Kay posted a photo of herself raising her arms while lying back on a couch to announce the news on Twitter.
“See you on Monday,” she said.
“Hope you’re as happy as I am to be back.”
Source: Read Full Article