Ex-American Idol Caleb Kennedy, 17, charged with felony DUI after fatal crash

Former American Idol star Caleb Kennedy has been charged with felony DUI that resulted in death following a crash in South Carolina on Tuesday 8 February.

Highway Patrol Master Mitchell Ridgeway told People magazine that the 17 year old singer has been driving a vehicle that crashed into a private driveway and hit a building.

He explained: "A 2011 Ford pickup was traveling north on W. Murph Road when the vehicle traveled onto a private drive at 269 W. Murph Road and struck a building.

"A person inside the building sustained fatal injury as a result of the collision."

He went on: "The driver is identified as Caleb Andrew Kennedy, 17-year-old male from Roebuck, South Carolina. This crash remains under investigation by the South Carolina Highway Patrol. There will be no further updates at this time."

Spartanburg County Coroners Office confirmed to local station WYFF4 that the man inside the residential building was 54 year old Larry Duane Parris who was pronounced dead three hours after the crash while in hospital.

According to the inmate list of the Spartanburg Country Sheriff's Office, the singer remains behind bars.

OK! Online has approached the Sheriff's office for further comment.

Kennedy rose to fame last year after making it into the Top 5 on American Idol. However, the teen left the show after a video, which is said to be from four years prior, of him with a friend who wore a hood similar to ones worn by the Klu Klux Klan surfaced on social media.

Announcing his exit from the show, he took to his Instagram feed to share: "Hey y’all, this is gonna be a bit of a surprise but I am no longer gonna be on American Idol.

"There was a video that surfaced on the internet and it displayed actions that were not meant to be taken in that way. I was younger and did not think about the actions, but that’s not an excuse."

Become an OK! VIP and see all our exclusives – for free!

Become an OK! VIP and you will unlock access to all of our big exclusives…

Be the first to meet the latest showbiz babies, see the most sought after wedding pictures of the year, or take a guided tour around your favourite star's lavish multi-million pound home – all for free!

Sign up here

Kennedy continued by apologising before vowing to "better" himself as he said: "I wanna say sorry to all my fans and everyone who I have let down.

"I’ll be taking a little time off social media to better myself, but saying that, I know this has hurt and disappointed a lot of people and made people lose respect for me.

"I’m so sorry! I pray that I can one day regain your trust in who I am and have your respect! Thank you for supporting me."

For all your updates on celebrity news, sign up to our daily OK! newsletter.

Source: Read Full Article